M4 closures and bridge repairs at Bradfield
*** M4 CLOSURE DATES HAVE BEEN UPDATED (16/06/2017) ***
Long term monitoring has found that the two bridges which carry the M4 over Ashampstead Road and Dark Lane, near Bradfield in West Berkshire, require extensive repair due to chloride-induced corrosion. Critical repairs are required to address the defects and ensure the structures remain in a safe and serviceable condition.
CLOSURE OF DARK LANE AND ASHAMPSTEAD ROAD (WEST BERKSHIRE)
The local authority roads which run beneath the M4 must be closed for safety reasons due to the restricted height available and due to the activities involved.
- Closure of Dark Lane (beneath the M4) – from Monday 6 March through to Tuesday 6 June 2017
- Closure of Ashampstead Road (beneath the M4) – from Monday 13 March through to Tuesday 6 June 2017
During the closures a clearly signed diversion will be in place via Bradfield, Chalk Pit Farm Road, A340 Pangbourne Road, Tidmarsh Lane, Gardeners Lane and Buckhold Hill, which has been approved by West Berkshire Council.
The programme of weekend closures of the M4 has been revised to not only avoid bank holidays but also the school Easter half term holiday, where traffic flows may increase along the M4. The closures are now currently scheduled to take place from 9pm Friday through to 6am on Monday on the following weekends:
- Friday 31 March to Monday 3 April 2017
Friday 5 May to Monday 8 May 2017Cancelled due to bridge replacement works on the M3
- Friday 12 May to Monday 15 May 2017
Friday 19 May to Monday 22 May 2017Cancelled due to bridge replacement works on the M3
- Friday 2 June to Monday 5 June 201
7(contingency weekend only)
- Sunday 18 June 9pm to 6am (Junc 13-12 Eastbound only)
- Friday 23 June 9pm to 6am (Junc 13-12 Eastbound only)
- Saturday 24 June 9pm to 6am (Junc 13-12 Eastbound only)
- Sunday 25 June 9pm to 6am (Junc 13-12 Eastbound only)
During these closures a clearly signed diversion will be in place via the A4 (through Newbury, Thatcham and Woolhampton).
Confirmed dates for these closures will be displayed in advance on signs along the M4.
On selected weekends in July, there will also be restricted lanes open, from 9pm Friday to 6am Monday, on the following weekends:
- Friday 7 July to Monday 10 July 2017 (Westbound only)
- Friday 28 July to Monday 31 July 2017 (Eastbound only)
Significant delays are expected during these weekend closure periods, and it is advised that you plan ahead of your journey to allow for extra time or avoid this route where possible.
If you have any questions or if you’d like you know about the work please log your enquiry through Highways England’s customer control centre:
- Phone: 0300 123 5000
- Post: Highways England, Bridge House, Walnut Tree Close, Guildford, GU1 4LZ